Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very tasty and healthy looking (but not tasting!) muffins, the recipe is taken (with little variations) from "Muffin magic" which is my bible for muffin-making, they all taste wonderful!
- 2 cups grated raw cooking apples
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash cinnamon (can be increased if you like)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice (cinnamon + nutmeg + cardamom + ginger - or just cinnamon if you prefer)
- Preheat oven 200°C and line muffin pan with paper cases or grease them.
- Combine apples, sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and orange peel, mix well.
- Add raisins and nuts.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and spice.
- Add dry ingredients to the apple batter and mix just until combined, do not overmix.
- Pour into muffin pans and sprinkle with a mixture of brown sugar and spice, pressing lightly.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, let cool on a rack.
These are delicious and easy to make. I've made this recipe twice; the first time exactly as written, but the second time I was low on apples so I used one cup of grated apples and one cup of grated carrots. Both versions turned out well and were delicious. Thanks Adriana, for sharing an excellent recipe.