Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of my favourite apple pie recipes that makes enough for a small crowd! The exact number of apples needed depends on the size of the apples used - you need enough apple slices to cover the whole 30 cm x 40 cm pie. Instead of sliced apples you can also use applesauce and mix it into the quark mixture.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line a 30 cm x 40 cm pan with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and vanilla sugar in a large bowl.
- Add melted butter and mix to combine.
- (If you are using vanilla extract instead of vanilla sugar, add it with the melted butter.).
- Transfer half of the dough into another bowl.
- Add eggs and buttermilk to one half of the dough and mix to combine.
- Pour this dough onto the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- To make filling: Lightly whip the eggs to break their structure.
- Add sugar, vanilla sugar, quark and lemon juice (and zest, if using), mix well.
- Pour the quark mixture on top of the dough in the pan.
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Arrange apple slices on top of the quark layer, covering the whole pie.
- Sprinkle the reserved half of the dough on top of apple slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.