Found this recipe in November 1996 Family Circle. Will be making this up this year to include in some Christmas Baskets for our teachers at the local school. I like this recipe because it can be canned or frozen and will last up to six months that way, or can be refrigerated and will last up to a month. Needless to say, I will be canning mine for the gift baskets, but am hoping to make enough so that I can keep some for myself in the fridge.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and core apples; reserve peels and cores. Combine peels, cores and 2 cups cider in saucepan. Bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Press mixture through food mill or sieve, to extract juice. Reserve juice; discard peels and cores.
- 2Meanwhile, combine apples with sugar, cinnamon stick and remaining 1/2 cup cider in large nonaluminum saucepan. Bring to boiling over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 40 minutes or until apples begin to fall apart.
- 3Add reserved juice to apples, bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 45 to 60 minutes or until thick. Discard cinnamon stick. Stir in pumpkin.
- 4Heat oven to 300 degrees. Pour mixture into large, shallow roasting pan. With oven door slightly ajar, bake, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until thick enough to spread.
- 5Spoon into sterilized 1/2 pint canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims and threads clean. Top with hot lids; screw bands on firmly. Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes ( or adjust time for altitude). Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Store in cool, dark place up to 6 months.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple - Pumpkin Butter
Serving Size: 1 (2465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.5
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 72.4 g
- Protein 0.8 g