Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delightful breakfast treat. This can also be served as a dessert, simply by doubling the cinnamon and sugar used, and serving a la mode.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk, preferably organic
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 apples (such as Gala or Red Delicious, peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine eggs, milk and vanilla in the jar of a blender.
- Blend until well combined.
- Add flour, granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg.
- Blend until dry ingredients are well incorporated, set aside.
- Place butter in a 9x13 inch glass baking dish.
- Transfer dish to oven and heat until butter has just melted.
- Carefully remove from oven and place apples in a single layer in baking dish.
- Return to oven and cook until butter begins to bubble, about 4 minutes.
- Pour batter over apples, sprinkle with brown sugar, and continue baking until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired; serve immediately.
This was easy to make and not too sweet. Which I liked. My children really enjoyed also.
Well, I doubled the cinnamon & the sugar while still serving these for breakfast ~ A sweet breakfast, but still breakfast! ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL TASTING, & a definite keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing this winner! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Zaar Stars Tag Game]
Wow! I don't know what I expected, but this was delicious! I'm not a huge pancake fan, but my DH and DS are so I thought I'd give this a shot. I loved the caramelly tasting apples and the almost bread pudding like texture. This will definitely go into the keeper file. I think it would make a great breakfast for houseguests. Thanks for posting Lainey!