Recipe by Debaylady
This is an old time recipe and was in my aunt's cookbook from her Church. Kathryn Esham submitted the recipe. There isn't anything like it here on RecipeZaar. My husband enjoys this. I think the sauce is almost like my grandmother's that I so loved. I hope you will try this one.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
10 stars! The BEST non-chocolate dessert we've had in a very long time. The lemon and apple flavors don't compete, but marry perfectly in this dish. I scaled it down to serve 2 and baked it in two 5 oz ramekins. The scaled down ingredient amounts were very tedious and I think I may have accidentally used 1/3 TBL of vanilla instead of 1/3 tsp. in the batter. To measure a 1/3 of an egg I beat one egg lightly in a small glass measuring cup and then used one third of the measured egg. :) The batter looked like cookie dough but I went with it & divided it into the ramekins. I baked them for 25 minutes (checking first at 20) and the final result was amazing! The texture was like cake but the flavor was like a cookie. The sauce was just the icing on the cake. I'll be using that on pound cake & maybe even cheesecake now too! I was so lucky to adopt you, Debaylady! Thank you for sharing this recipe, as we'll be making it again & again! Made & enjoyed for Spring 2010 PAC-O.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon . baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, uncooked and diced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together; set aside.
- Cream butter with lemon rind, vanilla and sugar.
- Beat in egg. Stir in flour mixture.
- Add apples. Mix just until lblended together. Turn into a greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Vanilla Sauce:.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar with cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in the water and mix well.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir until it reaches medium thickness.
- remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon rind and vanilla.
- Serve warm over the apple pudding.