Recipe by evelyn/athens
Homey and good.
Top Review by katew
I used a crumbled old dry fruitcake instead of the walnuts and graham crackers. I doubled the diced apple and the result was delicious. I can see myself doing this again anytime I have cake or cookies that remain as uneaten leftovers and need a bit of recycling.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large apple, peeled,cored and grated
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (or more)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter 10 inch springform pan.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with sugar until thick and pale.
- Combine walnuts, crumbs, baking powder salt and cinnamon and fold into egg mixture; do not overmix.
- Fold in apple, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour into pan, smoothing top.
- Bake about 40 minutes.
- Cool cake and then remove from springform pan.
- For glaze: Combine icing sugar with 4 tsps lemon juice; add more juice if necessary for proper drizzling consistency.
- Spoon over cake.
- Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.