Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
this is the cake that we have been serving our audiences at our church's annual Song of Christmas performances for several years now. Topped with a dollop of whipped cream, it is sweet, moist, and delicious.
- 4 cups granny smith apples, diced
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown raisins
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (walnuts or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash, core, and dice apples (peeling is optional).
- Pour sugar over apple pieces and stir well.
- In another large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients.
- Add sugared apples to batter and stir well.
- Batter will be fairly stiff.
- Butter a 9x13 glass pan.
- Spread batter in greased pan.
- Bake for about 45 to 60 minutes, starting to check doneness with a toothpick at 45 minutes.
- Do NOT overbake.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.