Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
From a Christmas Entertaining cookbook--sounds like a delicious recipe! *Prep time and cooking time is total time needed for this recipe.*
- Wash, core, and peel the apples; cut them into eighths.
- You should have about 2 pounds of chopped apples.
- Combine the water and sugar in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Boil for 2 1/2-3 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Stir the apples and lemon juice into the cooled syrup; bring to a boil again and cook gently until the apples are clear and transparent.
- You want to keep the apples in tact, so cook gently and shake the pan instead of stirring.
- Remove pan from heat and using a sterilized, slotted spoon, transfer the apples to hot,sterilized jars; make sure to leave a 1/2" headspace.
- Bring the syrup back to a boil and cook almost to the jellying point, 118*-120*F.
- Spoon the syrup over the apples, leaving 1/2" headspace.
- Allow the preserves to cool, then cover and refrigerate.
- They will keep indefinitely.