Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Too good to put in words, just try it and see for yourself...a definate winner.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups apples, grated
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8-in square baking pan.
- Cream together the 1 cup sugar with the 1/4 cup butter in a bowl.
- Add in the egg and apples; mix well.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add to creamed mixture; mix well; stir in nuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
- FOR SAUCE: Melt the 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan.
- Add the cream and mix well until blended.
- Combine the sugar and the 1 tbsp flour to the butter/cream mixture; mix well until thickened, over low heat.
- Add in vanilla, mix well.
- Serve warm over the apple dessert.
Tasted great but after baking just as directed the middle of the cake sunk in which did not make for a nice presentation.
Wow!!! This was definitely, as you say, a WINNER!!! The cake was so easy to make and it comes out super moist. It made the house smell heavenly, and almost didn't make it to the cool down stage... The sauce was also very very tasty - I could see making the sauce by itself to serve over ice cream or other desserts. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!
Excellent!! Was surprised this hasn't been rated before! I had some apples that were aging, and was looking for a recipe w/o vanilla ice cream since I forgot to get it... Once again another great recipe!!