Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a nice recipe from one of my Eastern European cookbooks.
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 4 -5 granny smith apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix egg with flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add water and 1/2 c melted butter or margarine gradually.
- Knead until smooth, keeping dough as soft as possible.
- Grease dough ball and place in a covered bowl for 20 minutes or more.
- Then place dough ball on a large surface - such as a table - that is covered with a cloth.
- Roll dough out as thin as possible with a rolling pin.
- then gently pull dough from all sides, stretching it until dough is tissue-thin.
- Patience and gentle pulling does it.
- if dough tears, keep going and mend it by joining dough ends.
- Spread entire dough with 1/2 c butter or margarine, then with sliced apples, raisins, sugar and cinnamon.
- roll into a jelly roll shape, then form roll into a circle or coil.
- Bake in a greased pan at 350 for 1 hour, or until golden brown.
- Long roll can also be cut in two parts, placed side by side and baked if preferred.