1/2 Photos of Apple-Potato Soup
1 hr 30 mins
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
This soup has a wonderful combination of apples, bacon (I use a bacon substitute) and leeks. Not too sweet, with a nice "bite." Sweet-tart apples and smokey bacon play off one another nicely. Good Fall soup, or Thanksgiving side dish which was when I made it. I could not find celery root so I added a few more stalks of celery. Can be made a day ahead, refrigerated and reheated for the next day. Leftover apple rings make a great snack. From a 2006 issue of Cottage Living, a Sara Foster recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tart apples, peeled and chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 large celery root, peeled and chopped (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
Apple rings (use 1 per serving for garnish)
- 1Saute onion in hot oil over medium-low heat in a soup pot or Dutch oven 10 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add celery and leek and saute 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes.
- 2Stir in apples and next 8 ingredients (through pepper). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 and thinly slice apple for apple rings using a mandoline if possible. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, and place apple slices in a single layer on sheet. Sprinkle with sugar and bake about 15 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with salt, if desired.
- 4Remove soup from heat and let cool slightly. Process with an immersion blender, or place soup in a food processor or blender and process in batches until smooth. Return to pot.
- 5Stir in milk or half-and-half and next 2 ingredients; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot. Top with oven-baked apple slices, bacon (vegetarian or regular or crispy pancetta) and chives.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.4
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.2 mg
- Sodium 812.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: