1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 40 mins
this recipe comes from bon appetit. i took it to a dinner party to be served with pork and it was a hit. not as sweet as you might think, but really good and different potato dish. i skipped the parchment paper, because i didn't have any and it was no problem.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 lbs onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons packed chopped fresh thyme
- 4 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 2 1/2 lbs similar potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 2 lbs tart apples (such as granny smith)
- 1preheat oven to 400 degrees. butter a 13x9 pyrex.
- 2melt 6 T butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. add onion, thyme and 2 t salt; saute until onion are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 3increase heat to medium-high; saute until onion are tender and begin to color, about 8 minutes longer. remove from heat. add remaining 6 T butter, 2/3 c water, wine, and sugar to skillet; stir and swirl skillet to combine. bring to a boil, then cool onion mixture to lukewarm.
- 4combine potatoes, apples, remaining 2 t salt and onion mixture in large bowl; toss gently to blend.
- 5transfer to prepared baking dish, spreading evenly. cover dish with parchment paper, then cover with foil, shiny side down.
- 6bake gratin until potatoes are tender, about 55 minutes. uncover and bake until top browns and juices bubble thickly, about 20 minutes longer.
- 7(can be made 6 hours ahead. let stand uncovered at room temperature. rewarm, loosely covered with foil, in 300 degree oven for 20 minutes.) let gratin stand 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple, Potato and Onion Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.0
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 1297.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g