Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My husband and I enjoyed this recipe a lot. I think I got it from an old Good Housekeeping Cookbook.
FOR PORK LOAF
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced baking apple
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil leaves, crumbled
- 1 pinch leaf thyme
- 1 pinch nutmeg
FOR STIR-FRY APPLES AND CELERY
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 medium cooking apples, quartered,cored and sliced (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- PORK LOAF: Crumble bread into milk in a large bowl.
- Add pork, sausage, egg, apple, celery, wheat germ, parsley, salt, pepper, basil, thyme and nutmeg; stir until well blended.
- Shape into a loaf in shallow baking pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Serve with Stir-Fry Apples and celery.
- Stir-Fry Apples& Celery: Heat butter and oil in a large skillet.
- Add lemon juice and celery; stir-fry over high heat for 5 minutes or until almost tender.
- Add apples; continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.