Recipe by Cookin'withGas
How is it that lemon got married to poppyseed in certain baked goods? Poppyseed I can take, but I don't like lemon...However I found this recipe, which gives me my poppyseed with something infinitely more palatable, apple! In addition I replaced some of the white flour with wheat, replaced white sugar with brown sugar and traded egg substitute for whole eggs...Try it, you'll like it!
Top Review by Shaun Landry
The overall recipe is amazing but I did do some tweeking to it because of the lack of ingredients:
1) Replaced the Wheat Flour with straight white flour
2) Replaced the Egg Beaters with two eggs
I also made homemade applesauce which completely made this recipe. The flour mix is the right consistency and I cannot wait to try it with a wheat mix.
Oh. I love lemon poppyseed muffins. It's just my husband loves apples more. :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon (up to 2 tsp. but no more)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F; Combine applesauce, egg substitute, oil, and vanilla in small bowl; mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and poppy seeds.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ones; stirring until just moistened; Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400°F for 12-15 minute; Serve with apple butter or your favorite homemade jam!.