Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
How is it that lemon got married to poppyseed in certain baked goods? Poppyseed I can take, but I don't like lemon...However I found this recipe, which gives me my poppyseed with something infinitely more palatable, apple! In addition I replaced some of the white flour with wheat, replaced white sugar with brown sugar and traded egg substitute for whole eggs...Try it, you'll like it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon (up to 2 tsp. but no more)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F; Combine applesauce, egg substitute, oil, and vanilla in small bowl; mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and poppy seeds.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ones; stirring until just moistened; Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400°F for 12-15 minute; Serve with apple butter or your favorite homemade jam!.
The overall recipe is amazing but I did do some tweeking to it because of the lack of ingredients:
1) Replaced the Wheat Flour with straight white flour
2) Replaced the Egg Beaters with two eggs
I also made homemade applesauce which completely made this recipe. The flour mix is the right consistency and I cannot wait to try it with a wheat mix.
Oh. I love lemon poppyseed muffins. It's just my husband loves apples more. :)