Recipe by Debbwl
The pomegranate and mint give this healthy salad a festive look. Cook time does not include the chill time.
Top Review by Posiespocketbook
I made this for a Super Bowl party and it was a hit. I didn't have fresh mint so I used green onion. I think the longer you can let the flavors meld in the frig the better.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 2 cups water
- 1 large apple, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate seeds, from 1 pomegranate
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, sliced into ribbons
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup orange juice, juice of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort through wheat berries carefully, discarding any stones. Rinse well under cool running water.
- Place in a large heavy saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently for 1 hour. Drain and rinse.
- Whisk together the orange juice, oil, honey, grated orange rind, salt and pepper.
- Toss together wheat berries, chopped apple, pomegranate seeds, mint and dressing.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.