Recipe by Cookiecrazymom
I have been making the pizza pie for at least 25 years. It's a favorite of everyone who loves apples and pies, plus your house smells so delicious.
- 8 apples, pare, and slice about 1/4-1/2-inch thick, Rome apples work great (or more, I always add more, just be careful of the boil overs)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (store bought or freshly grated is nice)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Prepare pastry with last 4 ingredients and roll out onto a pizza pan (12-14 inch) -- mix flour and salt, add the cold shortening, using pastry blender, work the dough till crumbly, add the ice water to form a dough ball, roll out onto the pizza pan (12-14 inch).
- Pare apples and cut into approximately 1/4-1/2 inch slices. It is optional to pare the apples, it is not necessary if that is your preference.
- At the edge of pan, begin layering the apple slices around the entire pan, overlapping and possibly topping layer on layer, if you want more apples than stated, some might like it that way.
- Mix together the cinnamon/nutmeg ingredients and sprinkle on top of apples.
- To make the crumble topping, make sure the butter is chilled or out of the freezer, combine using a pastry blender to make crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly over the apple/cinnamon mixture. You can sprinkle with additional cinnamon if you like lots of spice.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until edge is golden and the apples are tender.
- SERVE WITH YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM OR WHIPPED CREAM.