Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
It is so nice to be able to have these prepared frozen pies waiting for you to bake and serve within an hour's notice. I like to mix my favorite apples, Cortlands and Granny Smith, for this recipe. The brine will keep the apples from turning in this easy recipe.
- 25 cups tart apples, sliced soaked in salted water and then drained well
- 4 cups sugar
- 5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb lard (room temp) or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg, beaten (with enough water to make a cup)
- Make (2 batches of) the crust recipe in 2 separate bowls.
- Using an electric mixer, mix first three ingredients until the texture resembles course meal.
- Beat one egg in a 1 cup measuring cup.
- Fill cup with water to make 1 full cup. Add to flour mixture.
- Mix well, chill for 15 minutes.
- For each batch, divide dough 5 ways.
- Roll out 5 crusts on a floured surface.
- Place bottom crusts in 5 pie tins.
- Filling: (For each pie) add apples, sugar, cinnamon nutmeg.
- Roll out 5 more crusts on floured surface.
- Top pies with crusts.
- Crimp to seal.
- Place in ziplock bags.
- Seal and freeze.
- To bake: Place frozen pie on a baking sheet in a 350 degree F preheated oven.
- Bake 1 hour.
I followed this recipe to the letter. I had a bunch of apples to use up and this was a very good way to use them. I baked one of them today and it was super good! And I have more all ready in the freezer for the winter. It was a bit of work all in one day, but really worth it! These taste great!! Thanks for the recipe Barbara!
Yummy I love this recipe. I wanted to smother it over everything I make. Pancakes so yummy. If really freezes great, the pie was so good the family loved the nutmeg taste
Thank for sharing. I like to fill my pies high with apples. I have an apple peeler, corer, and slicer so the apples slices cook down a lot so I need to add extra apples, so it only made 3 pies for me. I just wanted to let anyone know if they have never used their apple peeler for pies before. I was able to get everything done in about 2 hourâ€™s total. Thanks Again