Recipe by IHeartBobert
I was toying around with recipes and I mix and matched untill it satisfied my picky hubby and daughter x3. Hope you love it as much as they do.
Top Review by Nicole T.
This pie is extreeeeeemely sweet, and I even cut out some of the sugar. You can not even taste the apples - just sweet and the spices. Cut the sugar by at least a third, cut some of the flour from the crumble and add more oats. We liked the spices.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 8 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Oatmeal Crumble Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix sliced apples with nutmeg, ginger, cinnnamon, and vanilla extract (although for most everyone else the full tablespoon of cinnamon might be a lil much *my hubbys a cinnamon addict* x3 you can cut it down to 1/2 tablespoon)
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with your apples, mounded slightly. Pour sauce over apples.
- Bake for 30 mins at 400°F Now for the crumble topping.
- I actually ganked this crumble topping from ratherbeswimmin <3~. Add flour, sugar, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in the container of a food processor; pulse several times to mix. Scatter the butter over the top; pulse repeatedly until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Empty the crumbs into a large bowl and rub them together between your fingers until you have large, buttery crumbs.
- Remove pie from oven and lower temperature to 375°. Carefully pour the crumble mixture in the center of the pie, spreading them over the surface evenly. Bake for another 30-40 mins you may have to cover with aluminum foil the final 15 mins to prevent your topping from burning. So keep a close eye on your pie ^.^.