2 hrs 55 mins
This version of the quintessential all-American classic includes a cheddar crust. My dad always sprinkles more cheese over his slice when he eats it. The sharp cheese gives the crust a superior crunch and adds just the right counterpoint to the sweet-tart flavor of the apples. If you want more cheddar, do what my dad always does, or serve an extra slice of cheese on the side. (that's my preference...)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 lb grated good quality sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1Put the flour, salt and cheese into the bowl of a food processor.
- 2Pulse three to four times, until the cheese is finely chopped and evenly distributed.
- 3Add the butter and pulse three to four times until the misture has the consistency of cornmeal, (It should not be smooth).
- 4Transfer the mixture to a medium size bowl.
- 5Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and break in the egg.
- 6Using a fork, stir the egg into the flour mixture.
- 7With your hands, knead the dough into a mass, then divide it into two balls, one slightly larger than the other.
- 8Pat and spread the larger ball of dough into a 9 inch pie plate.
- 9Place the remaining ball of dough between two pieces of waxed paper, and roll to form the top crust.
- 10Chill crusts, covered for at least 2 hours.
- 11Remove the pastry from the fridge at least 1/2 hour before baking.
- 12Put the apples and vanilla bean in a bowl, squeeze the lemon over them, and sprinkle on the salt, sugar and flour.
- 13Using your hands, mix the filling thoroughly and pile it into the prepared crust.
- 14Cover with the top crust.
- 15Dip your finger in water and run it along the pie plate between the two crusts, then crimp the edges and trim the crust.
- 16Slash the top crust or cut a decorative shape our of the pastry to allow the steam to escape, and bake the pie on the bottom shelf of the oven for 1/2 hour.
- 17Lay a piece of foil loosely over the pie, and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling and the fruit is tender.
- 18Serve warm with, or without extra cheese.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie With a Cheddar Crust
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.4
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 116.0 mg
- Sodium 436.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 45.1 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: