Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
kids can make this for themselves...this is so fast and as delicious an apple pie as any you have ever tasted! using cardamon instead of cinnamon adds an elegant flavor --
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, to sprinkle over apples (or less)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1⁄3 cup kerry irish gold butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, for topping
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- Preheat toaster oven to 350.
- While coring and slicing apples (you can peel them but it isn't necessary -- especially for organic apples), melt butter in a 1-cup stainless steel measuring cup (or any oven-safe small dish in the toaster oven as you are preheating it for baking. Remove from toaster oven and add 1/2 cup flour (can use Pamela's Gluten Free baking mix) and 1/4 cup sugar to the butter. Add egg, if desired.
- Fill a stainless steel breading tray (available at amazon.com or williams-sonoma and a great size for cooking or baking in a toaster oven) with thinly sliced apples. Sprinkle lemon juice over apples, if desired.
- Mix a little less than 1/4 cup white sugar wirh 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon OR cardamon and sprinkle this over the apples.
- Sprinkle th butter, flour and sugar mixture over the apples.
- Return the stainless steel breading tray to the preheated toaster oven and set timer for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. At 20 minutes, check to see if the apples are soft enough and if the topping is cooked enough. Bake for an additional 5-20 minutes until the topping is cooked well enough.
- Let cool. Serve with ice cream, if desired.