1/1 Photo of Apple Pie Stuffed Soft Pretzels With Streusel
This came from a request on our Request a Recipe board. My experiment incorporated KimmieOH's (Soft Pretzels (For Bread Machines)) and Sharon123's (Pear Streusel Pie) recipes and I'd like to thank both of them. The recipe looks more complicated than it is. There are quite a few steps, but each one is simple and not as time consuming as it appears and most can be done ahead of time. If you prefer a sweeter pretzel you can try a different type of apple (I liked the tartness of the Granny Smith's). Also, I added the pecans as my personal preference, but they can be omitted. I think the results came out great. Hope you do, too.
My Private Note
large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 small granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1To prepare dough:.
- 2Proof yeast and the 1 TBS sugar in the 1 cup of warm water and allow to rest for 5 minutes until foamy.
- 3Mix the flours with 1/2 teaspoons salt and 2 TBS oil in bowl and then add proofed yeast mixture.
- 4Stir to form a shaggy dough.
- 5Place onto lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until a smooth, but slightly sticky dough is formed.
- 6Place into a greased bowl, covered with plastic wrap, and let sit until doubled (45-60 minutes).
- 7While waiting for the dough to rise prepare filling and streusel.
- 8To prepare filling:.
- 9Peel, core, and thinly (1/4" thick) slice the apples and then cut each slice into 8 pieces (I used my peeler/corer/slicer all in one contraption).
- 10Saute the apple pieces with 1/2 of the TBS of butter, the 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and the pinch of cloves until the apples are tender, but not mushy.
- 11Remove from heat and stir in the additional 1/2 TBS of butter.
- 12To prepare streusel:.
- 13Mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together.
- 14With fork cut in the 4 TBS of butter to a crumb consistency.
- 15Stir in the chopped pecans.
- 16When dough has risen, punch down, place on lightly floured board, and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- 17With hands, roll each piece into a 15" long cylinder.
- 18Flatten the cylinder down with a rolling pin to measure 3" wide by 17" long.
- 19Place 1 1/2 TBS of the filling mixture along the length of each piece and fold the long edge over to meet the other side.
- 20Pinch along the seam to thoroughly enclose the filling.
- 21Roll the dough with your hands to form an even cylinder and fully encapsulate the filling.
- 22Take the two ends of each filled cylinder and form into a circle that is overlapped by a couple of inches of dough on either side, twist the ends and lay over the opposite side to form a pretzel shape and press to seal.
- 23Play with the shape a bit to get the right form and then place each one on a parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet.
- 24Repeat for all 8 pieces.
- 25Allow to rise on cookie sheet for 15 minutes.
- 26While they are rising, boil 2 cups of water and add 1/3 cup of baking soda.
- 27Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 28Beat 1 egg white with 1 TBS water and lay it on a flat plate.
- 29Lay the streusel topping on a flat plate, too.
- 30When the pretzels have fully risen, drop one at a time into the boiling water and count to 10.
- 31Remove with a large slotted spatula/spoon to slightly drain and then drop onto the egg white, turn to coat, then drop into the streusel and turn to coat.
- 32Lay each completed pretzel back on the lined cookie sheet.
- 33Repeat this procedure until all pretzels are done.
- 34Place into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes (check on them at 12 minutes).
- 35Immediately remove from cookie sheets and place on racks to cool.
- 36*Note:I haven't including the rising time in the"Time To Make" category, but there are two rises for this dough.
- 37The first is 45-60 minutes and the second is 15 minutes.
- 38The recipe is written to make use of the rising times for preparing the filling and streusel.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie Stuffed Soft Pretzels With Streusel
Serving Size: 1 (2022 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.1
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 2777.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 24.5 g
- Protein 7.4 g