1/2 Photos of Apple Pie Squares
1 hr 50 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cut up (no substitutions)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Lightly grease 15 x 10 jelly-roll pan.
- 3Prepare Struesel Topping: in medium bowl, with hand, mix all topping ingredients until mixture comes together.
- 4Shape into a ball; cover and refrigerate.
- 5Prepare Shortbread Crust: in large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
- 6With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 7Sprinkle crumbs evenly in prepared pan.
- 8With hands, firmly pat crumbs into bottom of pan to form a crust.
- 9Bake crust 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned (crust may crack).
- 10Meanwhile, prepare Apple Filling: in 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- 11Add apples, raisins, sugar, and cinnamon, and cook 15 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 12In cup, mix cornstarch and lemon juice; stir into apple mixture until thickened (it will thicken almost immediately).
- 13Remove skillet from heat.
- 14Spoon hot apple mixture over warm crust.
- 15Break struesel topping into 1/2-inch chunks, and scatter over apple mixture.
- 16Bake 30 minutes or until struesel is golden.
- 17Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- 18When cool, cut lengthwise into 3 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 6 pieces.
- 19Use wide metal spatula to lift and serve squares.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie Squares
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.9
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 45.7 mg
- Sodium 161.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 27.3 g
- Protein 4.4 g