Recipe by Kathy228
A not too sweet and almost foolproof spice apple cake. You can also make this in a bundt pan. But I think the springform round cake shape seems appropriate for this cake. Optional spices can be added like cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, a pinch of ground cloves, etc.
Top Review by StacyMD187373
Absolutely delicious and easy to make cake! I made using a no-sugar added (splenda sweetened) apple pie filling. I didn't have medium eggs, so used 3 large and had to mix in some vanilla yogurt to the sour cream to have enough. The only problem I had was that some of the butter leaked out the bottom/side of my springform pan onto the (newly-cleaned) oven! Definitely recommend this recipe--the topping makes it spectacular!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 (18 ounce) spice cake mix
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3 medium eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350°F and grease a 10" springform cake pan and set aside.
- In a separate small pan, melt butter; then stir in brown sugar and nuts.
- Pour pecan mixture into bottom of cake pan. This will be the top of the cake.
- By hand, mix cake mix, pie filling, sour cream, eggs, and oil until well-blended.
- Carefully pour over nut mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake 45 minutes to one hour. Oven temps vary so check cake after 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack.
- Release spring and remove sides and bottom of pan.
- If some pecan topping sticks to the pan, replace it on the cake.
- Garnish with whole pecan halves.