Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an old favorite at our house. I make this using fresh or frozen apples. I have made it at Christmas,drizzled with the glaze for my dainty tray. Delicious for snacks or as a dessert served with ice cream. Serve warm or cooled. Can also be frozen.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (save white)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- milk, to make 2/3 cup liquid
- 6 -8 cups apples, peeled and sliced. (If using previously frozen apples I use 8 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour (if using previously frozen apples use additional 2 tablespoons flour)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 dash ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter (to dot on filling)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water (a bit more if required)
- Pastry: Mix dry ingredients together.
- blend in crisco and butter with pastry blender. This step can be done in the food processor as well.
- mix wet ingredients and pour over blended dry mixture.
- Mix with fork then using hands mix up as a pie crust.
- Place in fridge to set for 20-30 minutes.
- Roll out half the pastry and place in a 10"x14" cookie sheet bringing pastry up the sides.
- brush with some of the egg white.
- Filling: Mix sugar, flour and spices and sprinkle over apples and mix.
- pour apple mixture over pastry.
- Dot with butter.
- Roll out second half of dough and place on top of apples.
- Moisten edges and pinch together.
- Brush egg white over the top crust.
- Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Using a fork prick the pastry top. ( I use a knife cutting in short openings .).
- Bake at 375F for about 45 minutes and top is golden browned. ( I use an air bake pan so pans and ovens may vary).
- The glaze is optional. when cooled drizzle with glaze.
- NOTE: spices can be decreased or changed to personal preference.