Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
When peeling apples for cooking/baking/snacking, don't discard the peels. Instead, multi-purpose them to make this aromatic potpourri that smells like a freshly-baked apple pie. Use it as a real estate selling tactic, to set the mood for a party or simply for your own enjoyment. It's easy to make and all-natural.
- 3 -4 apples, peels of
- 3 cloves, whole (or 1/8 tsp. ground)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground (or 1 cinnamon stick)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground (or freshly ground)
- 1 cup water
- Into a small crock pot, place apple peels, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour water over all.
- Set on low heat for the entire day, checking the water level periodically to prevent burning.
- You can even enjoy it for one more day if you like. Just place the cooled mixture into a container, refrigerate and reheat another day (which is what I do often).
I already do this, and it's wonderful, especially during the winter months. In winter, I have to add a bit of humidity to the air in my home, and this helps. One addition I do make to the "recipe", is that I also freeze my orange peels and add them to the mix.