Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the October 2005 issue of Nick Jr. magazine.
Make and share this Apple Pie Pancake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400. Peel apples and cut each into 8 sections and then cut each section into bite-sized pieces. Toss apples with lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a 10-inch oven proof skillet over medium heat. Transfer 2 T of butter into a cup and set aside. To remaining butter in skillet, add apples, brown sugar, confectioners’ sugar, and cinnamon. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender but still hold their shape, about 6 minutes. Spread apples evenly in skillet. Remove from heat.
- Prepare batter: Place milk in a glass measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds to warm. Put eggs, milk, remaining butter, and salt into a blender. Blend briefly to mix. Add flour and blend until incorporated.
- Pour batter into skillet and place in oven. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until pancake is puffed and golden brown.
- Place on a trivet and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Cut pancake into four wedges and serve topped with vanilla yogurt if desired.
- Substitute 2 pears for the apples and 1/4 t ground ginger for the cinnamon.
- Add 1/3 C dried cranberries to the apple mixture in step 3.
- Omit apples. Slice 1 banana and sauté with 1 t cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg for 1 minute before adding batter to pan.
- Substitute 2 large peaches for the apples. Omit cinnamon and cook as directed. Serve sprinkled with toasted almonds.
- Omit apples and cinnamon. Melt butter in skillet, add all of the butter and sugars to blender when making batter, pour into the skillet, and sprinkle on 1 C fresh blueberries.