Recipe by Sharon123
A great raw recipe using Golden Delicious or Fuji apples and dates. Recipe courtesy of Sprout Raw Food by Jackie Graff. From the Hallelujah Diet Cookbook.
Top Review by mliss29
This is really good! I used the crust from Recipe #260890 . I thought 1 teaspoon of salt sounded like a lot, so I used just 1/2 teaspoon. I still thought it tasted a bit salty. I really liked the raisins in it. I used golden raisins. Thanks, Sharon! Reviewed for the Veg*n Recipe Swap.
- 1 date nut pie crust (Date Nut Balls or Pie Crust!)
- 6 golden delicious apples, peeled and cored (or use Fuji or your favorite apples)
- 4 -6 medjool dates, soaked 1 hour and drained
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (original recipe called for 1 tsp)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (if you can't find use 1/2 tsp.vanilla extract)
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons flax seeds, ground fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pie crust according to recipe and press into a pie plate.
- Place 1/3 of the apples, plus salt, cinnamon, dates and vanilla powder in a food processor. Process until mix is almost the consistency of applesauce.
- Continue adding apples, processing only until apples are chopped into small-medium sized pieces.
- Add raisins. Stir in ground flax seeds and mix well. Let sit aobut 15 minutes(raisins and flax seed will soak up the juice from the apples).
- Place the apple mixture in the pie crust.
- You may top with chopped walnuts if you wish(or other nuts). Enjoy!