Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great raw recipe using Golden Delicious or Fuji apples and dates. Recipe courtesy of Sprout Raw Food by Jackie Graff. From the Hallelujah Diet Cookbook.
- 1 date nut pie crust (Date Nut Balls or Pie Crust!)
- 6 golden delicious apples, peeled and cored (or use Fuji or your favorite apples)
- 4 -6 medjool dates, soaked 1 hour and drained
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (original recipe called for 1 tsp)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (if you can't find use 1/2 tsp.vanilla extract)
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons flax seeds, ground fine
- Prepare pie crust according to recipe and press into a pie plate.
- Place 1/3 of the apples, plus salt, cinnamon, dates and vanilla powder in a food processor. Process until mix is almost the consistency of applesauce.
- Continue adding apples, processing only until apples are chopped into small-medium sized pieces.
- Add raisins. Stir in ground flax seeds and mix well. Let sit aobut 15 minutes(raisins and flax seed will soak up the juice from the apples).
- Place the apple mixture in the pie crust.
- You may top with chopped walnuts if you wish(or other nuts). Enjoy!
This is really good! I used the crust from Strawberry Pie . I thought 1 teaspoon of salt sounded like a lot, so I used just 1/2 teaspoon. I still thought it tasted a bit salty. I really liked the raisins in it. I used golden raisins. Thanks, Sharon! Reviewed for the Veg*n Recipe Swap.