I took one look at the RSC ingredients and saw a homemade classic...but I didn't want the same old, same old. This dessert is fairly easy to put together and after little more than 30 minutes, you've got delicious warm apples with crispy cinnamon crunch, all topped with cool whipped cream and a bit of crunch to boot! Enjoy!
- 2 tortillas
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups vegetable oil
Apple Pie Mix
- 2 baking apples, diced into 1/2 inch pieces (I used braeburn)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 ounce Amaretto
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- Heat oil until it "speaks" when you sprinkle water into it. Cut each tortilla in half, then cut each half into 4 wedges.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar in a shallow dish with another paper towel lined dish right next to it.
- Put 2-4 tortilla wedges into the hot oil and cook until light brown on each side, flipping only once (this should take about 1 minute). Remove immediately from oil one by one and completely cover in cinnamon sugar mixture on both sides before placing on towel lined dish to cool and drain.
- When finished with crispas, toss together diced apples and lemon juice.
- Put apples, lemon juice and amaretto into a medium-sized skillet and cook over medium heat until apples just start to get tender and barely break down.
- Add brown sugar and stir well until evenly distributed. Remove pan from heat.
- Beat heavy whipping cream (works best in a chilled bowl) just until stiff.
- Gradually add sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- On a plate or platter, set out each crispa individually. Top with a teaspoon or more of apple mixture, then a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
This is a delicious treat! It's very creative and fun, and of course yummy. The combination of apples with the cinnamon crispas is wonderful. Made for Fall PAC 2008.
Great concept chef! Way to come up with a very different and exciting contest entry. I knew I would be short on time the evening I prepared this so I prepped as much as possible which allowed the dish to come together much quicker for me(did the measuring and chopping etc.. ahead) I apologize for the necessary deviation from your instructions. That was the only thing I did differently. Oh, I also forgot to add the pecans before I took the pic and the batteries were dead when I realized that. We rated this 4 stars as we have enjoyed sauteed apples such as these here that had a different measure of liquor/sugar/apples that we found very nice. Would have also liked to have some of the cinnamon sugar sprinkled over the top as a garnish as the cinnamon really was nice in this dish. Good luck to you chef! Great idea!
This recipe was a huge hit with my family. Loved the sweetness from the flour tortillas sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Then to top that a warm tender apple slice then a dollop of Cream. Mmmmm! This was *Delicious* ... Good Luck to you Chef, what a nice way to use the ingredients! Wish I had thought of it ;) ~V