This is from the Rinn UMC cookbook from a dear lady my family knew well. She was a good scandinavian who loved to cook and feed people. I love this recipe and have a few jars in my pantry all the time. Great for last minute desserts!
- Peel and slice apples.
- Fill quart jars with apples leaving 1 inch head space.
- Be sure to pack the apples in there, put a few in and smosh down with the handle of a wooden spoon, then a few more and repeat.
- Make syrup by combining sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water.
- Cook until thick.
- Add lemon juice.
- Pour syrup over apples in jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Be sure to run your plastic spatula around the inside of the jar to get the air bubbles out.
- Place the lids on and screw the rings down just finger tight.
- Process 20 minutes in hot water bath.