Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 7 quarts peeled sliced cooking apples
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Peel and slice apples. Fill quart jars wirh apples, leaving 1-inch headsapace. Be sure to pack the apples in there, put a few in and smoosh them down with the handle of a wooden spoon, then a few more and repeat.
- Make syrup by combining sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and water. Cook until thick. Add lemon juice. Pour syrup over apples in jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Be sure to run your plastic spatula around the inside of your jar to get the air bubbles out.
- Place the lids on and screw the rings on just finger tight. Process 20 minutes in hot water bath.