1 hr 15 mins
Dense, fresh apple pie. Consistently wonderful. I use mostly granny smith apples because I love the tart apple flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 2/3-3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 -7 cups thinly sliced peeled and cored cooking apples (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1Prepare pastry. Roll out half of pastry and line 9-inch pie plate.
- 2In small bowl, combine sugar (amount depends on tartness of apples) and next 5 ingredients.
- 3Place half of thinly sliced apples in piecrust; sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Top with rest of apples, then rest of sugar mixture.(I like to overlap the slices in a circular pattern).
- 4Dot the filling with butter. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 5Roll out remaining paastry for top crust and decorate as desired. Be sure to cut vents in crust at a minimum. Fold pastry overhang under then bring up over pie plate rim. Pinch to form a high edge then make your choice of decorative edge.
- 6For a golden glaze bush the top crust (but not the edge) lightly with some milk. Bake pie for 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie - Good Housekeeping
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.5
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 340.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 35.3 g
- Protein 4.4 g