Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Kids (and some adults) always seem picky about nuts. This pie is NOT for them. Loaded with walnuts and amped-up spices, it's a unique twist on traditional apple pie. From Taste of Home.
- 5 large tart apples (peeled cored and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for double-crust pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine the sugars, nuts, tapioca, and spices. Add to apples and toss to coat thoroughly. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a 9 inch pie plate with pastry. Add apples and dot with butter. Add top crust and seal edges. Flute. Cut 6-8 slits in the top and cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400°F for 45-50 minutes until crust is golden, filling is bubbly and apples are tender. Cool.