Recipe by Rita~
My DD went apple picking and brought me a nice bunch of organic apples. This can top ice cream waffles, pan cakes, french toast. Make an apple pie with it or stuff puff pastry with it. Pour it over a hot ricotta cheese cake.
Top Review by Ladymedic
This pie filling was incredible. Did not know what buttershots was until I read the reciepe but wow is it tasty. I had two jars that didnt seal properly so made up my own cheesecake with apple pie filling (#335174) Got rave reviews from everyone who tried them.
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 9 cups water
- 1 cup butterscotch schnapps
- 1⁄4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 9 lbs apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 cloves (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot place first 5 ingredients and optional spices, bring to a boil and cook till thick and bubbly. Stirring so it doesn`t stick to the bottom and burn.
- Meanwhile pack 4-6 sliced apples in sterilized quart jars.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and zest and buttershots.
- Pour over apples removing as much air as you can. This is thick so use a butter knife to help it seep down to the bottom. Leaving 1 inch head space.
- Wipe rims and place hot lids and screw tops on.
- Process in a water bath for 25 minutes.
- Optional packing:.
- Mix apple slices into the syrup then pack.