Recipe by dianegrapegrower
From Penn State, this pie filling is a favorite in our house. Prepping apple pie filling is messy and time consuming, so if I'm going to do it, I want to make a bunch! This recipe is a favorite in our house. I'm posting the ingredients per quart, to make it easy to scale up as needed.
- 4 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Clear Jel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 1 dash nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch apple slices (you may need to do this in batches if scaling this recipe up). Place in bowl, cover, and keep warm.
- Combine all other ingredients in a pot large enough to hold them, plus the apples. Place over medium-high heat, and stir until mixture begins to bubble and turn translucent. Cook one more minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and fold in apple slices.
- Fill jars with mixture, leaving 1" headspace. Close with 2-piece caps, and process in boiling water bath for 25 minutes for pints or quarts. 1 quart will make an average pie.