Recipe by Elcowgirl
My children's school used this recipe as a fundraiser at Thanksgiving. It went over really well! The recipe is from a friend's 4H cookbook. I used it to make apple crisp. Easy and yummy! Can be doubled.
- 4 -5 cups white sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups water, divided
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 7 quarts apples
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar (IF THE APPLES ARE QUITE SWEET, USE ONLY THE 4 CUPS OF SUGAR), cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt with *5 cups* of water.
- Mix well over low heat until all is dissolved.
- Slowly add the remaining water.
- Cook stirring often until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Add lemon juice.
- Peel and cut fresh apples into small wedges and fill quart jars.
- Pour prepared sugar mixture over the apples and seal.
- Boil 20 minutes in a hot water bath.