Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Filling for Apple Pie
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (ground)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 lemon juice
- 2 -3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 lb granny smith apple (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- In a large sauce pan:.
- Blend sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, & salt.
- Stir in 1 2/3 c water. stir & cook until thick & bubbly.
- Add lemon juice & food coloring.
- Put in crust & bake for 25-30 minutes.
Taste wise this was really good. I guessed at how much lemon juice was intended (assumed 1 1/2 tbsp). I found there was too much water, and I didn't put in the full amount called for - couldn't get it to thicken with amounts given, had to add extra starch and cook for quite a long time. I'm worried it is still too runny for a pie, but I can use for other things. I didn't bother with the food colouring, it looks great as is. Would make again, I'd just judge the amount of water a little better (maybe it depends on your apples...I'm not sure).