Recipe by BarbC
If you like to can during the summer, this recipe is easy and wonderful. My daughter gave me this recipe and where ever it came from, heaven only knows.
Top Review by Dianne Jones
"After 20 minutes, take each jar out carefully and put on towel, use pot holders to tighten rings on each jar and let stand until cool. " You should NEVER do this - tighten bands while still hot. If after 15 min it does not seal & pushing lid down with your finger does not work - re-process with new lid. Food may have gotten between the jar & lid making it not seal. If you tighten the rings down while hot you will not know if the jar has sealed by itself & really has a vacumm. This will show up later as spoiled.
- 10 cups water
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 drops yellow food coloring
- 6 -7 quarts apples, peeled,cored & quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: To keep apples from turning brown, put in large container of cold water and add lemon juice or if juice is not available, 7UP will work just as well.
- Blend all dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add water and cook until thick then add lemon juice and food coloring.
- Pack apples in quart jars and pour cooked filling over the apples.
- Put lids and rings on quart jars and put in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take each jar out carefully and put on towel, use pot holders to tighten rings on each jar and let stand until cool.
- Mark date on outside of jar and store for future use.