Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If you like to can during the summer, this recipe is easy and wonderful. My daughter gave me this recipe and where ever it came from, heaven only knows.
- 10 cups water
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 drops yellow food coloring
- 6 -7 quarts apples, peeled,cored & quartered
- Note: To keep apples from turning brown, put in large container of cold water and add lemon juice or if juice is not available, 7UP will work just as well.
- Blend all dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add water and cook until thick then add lemon juice and food coloring.
- Pack apples in quart jars and pour cooked filling over the apples.
- Put lids and rings on quart jars and put in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take each jar out carefully and put on towel, use pot holders to tighten rings on each jar and let stand until cool.
- Mark date on outside of jar and store for future use.
"After 20 minutes, take each jar out carefully and put on towel, use pot holders to tighten rings on each jar and let stand until cool. " You should NEVER do this - tighten bands while still hot. If after 15 min it does not seal & pushing lid down with your finger does not work - re-process with new lid. Food may have gotten between the jar & lid making it not seal. If you tighten the rings down while hot you will not know if the jar has sealed by itself & really has a vacumm. This will show up later as spoiled.
I think this recipe is great! I have it from another source. My recipe uses less cinnamon and no food color. What is omitted is how to bake it. Bake it in a double 9" crust. I baked for 25 min with foil on edge then 25 min more (or until pastry is golden).
This was a great recipe for first time canners, like me :-) Not only was it simple, but the complements just keep coming when the apple pie is passed around. Thanks to whomever posted this recipe!