Recipe by custardandpie
An all round family favourite! This recipe has a unique twist that makes this one of my favourite desserts! With a crumble topping and a pie base you won't be able to resist.
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups apples (peeled)
- 1 shortcrust pastry, base
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- 1⁄3 cup muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine, firm
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (more can be added for extra flavour)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves (more can be added for extra flavour)
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling, mix together sugar, flour (sifted), salt, sour cream, egg, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Peel and cube or slice apples.
- Add apples to cream mix.
- Place read made pastry in a pie dish or if you dont have one use the lid of a cassarole dish - make sure there are no holes! Leave a small crust at the edges.
- Put cream and apple mix into pie base and place in the oven at 190C for 45 minutes.
- While this is in the oven make the topping. Cream Margarine and sugar together.
- Add flour and spices and uses your fingers to make a crumb like texture.
- You can add more cinnamon or cloves to give it an extra kick, just remember to taste it as you go!
- Remove pie from oven and add topping.
- Return to oven for further 15mins.
- Remove and serve warm with ice cream for a delicious dessert.