I came up with this recipe after making my adopted "Spring PAC 2008 " baby :),Crystal L.'s Cherry Crumb Bars. I thought this would make a great recipe for those who aren't really crazy about cherries,but still wanted a crumb topped bar. Thanks again Crystal L. :)Submitted to "ZAAR" on May 8th,2008
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, while oven is heating grease and flour an 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, 6 Tablespoons margarine,1 cup of oats,cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Set aside 1 cup of this for the topping.
- To the remaining mixture add egg and mix well.
- Press evenly into pan, pour pie filling over base and spread evenly.
- Take remaining topping and add 1/4 cup of oatmeal, 2 Tablespoons of margarine,and brown sugar.
- Mix well, and sprinkle over apple pie filling.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until topping is a light golden brown.
- If desired serve with vanilla ice cream.
After seeing a photo of this recipe posted in the Community Cafe in a Recipe Promo, I knew I just had to make these bars. I was amazed how good these bars were. At first I thought the canned pie filling would be a bit too sweet, but I was wrong, and when I added the nutmeg, I did add the 3/4 teaspoon, which didn't seem to overpower the taste of the bars. I think the 3/4 teaspoon is just the right amount of spice. I did bake the bars for 35 mins., but noticed the bottom of the bars were a bit too dark, (but still very good) so next time I will decrease the amount of baking time. Thank you shapeweaver for posting this recipe. I look forward to making the Cherry Crumb Bars .
Made this over the weekend. It was very good. The directions were unclear as to were to add the rest of the margarine so i added it to the batter (cake mix). It looked dry but to my surprise when it came out of the oven it was moist and tasted wonderful. Thank you and i will be making again.