Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I THINK this is from an early edition of Light&Tasty -but my copied page is faded. There are many possible variations, made the same way - such as yellow cake mix and peach pie filling, or chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling - which I have not tried, since I LOVE the apple/spice. In preparing the bundt pan, I always use Baker's Joy spray (with flour) or Pam For Baking, and never have a problem with release. It is very easy, and packable in lunches.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces spice cake mix
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons low-fat milk
- Set aside 1 Tblsp. cake mix.
- Set aside 1-1/2 cups pie filling.
- In mixing bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, water, oil, extract, remaining cake mix, and remaining pie filling.
- Beat on med. speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 batter into 10 inch bundt pan, coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and reserved cake mix.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Spoon reserved pie filling over batter, to within 3/4 of edges.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted near center comes out clesn.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.
- Turn cake upright, on rack.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients.
- Drizzle over cooled cake, on plate from which it is to be served.
WOW! This was delicious and impressing!<br/>I used canned apples I still had to use (from 2012) and for the cake mix I prepared it myself and I'm keeping the stock mix aside for other recipes (for example delicious cranberry muffins)..<br/>Here the combination of the ingredietns for the mix (gives about 9 1/2); for this recipe I used 3 cups.<br/>1000 g (8 cups) unbleached flour (sifted)<br/>600 g (2 ¼) cups sugar<br/>60 g baking powder<br/>3 tablespoons powdered ginger<br/>3 tablespoons ground cinnamon<br/>1/2 teaspoon ground cloves<br/>1 teaspoons salt<br/><br/>The cake was delicious and the fresh filling made the cake moist and attractive. Thanks a lot for this keeper
YUMMY!!!! So moist and so soft. You can smell the almond extract as you slice into the cake. The spice cake with the apple pie filling is a great combination. I took some to my in-laws and some to my son's family. Everyone loved this cake...even my little 4-year-old granddaughter. I can't wait to make this again and take it into work. Made for June 2012 Aus/NZ Swap.
This was well received by my family AND the neighbors! I doubled the recipe and used my homecanned apple pie filling. I didn't even get to the icing stage much less a picture. This is how fast this tasty cake went. It was very moist and the house smelled heavenly!