Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tender chicken slowly baked in apple butter. . .sure to be a favorite with your family just as it is with mine! This is my own concotion and should prove very simple to make for even the beginner cook. You just may already have all of the ingredients in your home! Just be sure that the chicken breasts are not too thick (more than 1 1/2 inches) or you may need to increase cooking time.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons crushed cloves
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 -8 ounces spiced apple butter
- Prehat oven to 375F.
- Wash chicken and poke several holes in both sides with a fork.
- Rub ginger into both sides of breast until lightly coated.
- Lightly coat bottom of 9x11 pan with apple butter and place chicken in pan.
- Cover top of chicken completely with layer of apple butter.
- Moisten oats in about 1/4 cup of warm water for about 2 minutes, then sprinkle over top of chicken.
- Sprinkle cloves evenly over oats and chicken.
- Cook uncovered for 45 minutes at 375F.
The chicken breast were very tender.....however, the cloves (which I didn't use the full amount listed) was too much for our family's tastes. I *might* try this again and not use any cloves....but haven't decided if I'm that brave yet!
The apple butter was just too strong of a taste. If I make it I will use alot less or will use apple pie filling instead. This was not liked by my family of 4 (3 years, 1 year and two adults).
WOW! Great dish! Even the world's pickiest eater loved it. Thanks!