Recipe by Caramella Girl
One of my favorite combinations is apple and cheddar cheese. When I make apple pie, I usually top it with a slice of cheese. So in honor of National Grilled Cheese month, I thought I'd try my own take on the classic grilled cheese sandwich with some Cameo apples and my panini press.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, then chopped (Cameo or Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄8 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar
- Toss cinnamon sugar with the apples
- Lightly grease pan with cooking spray and place on stove
- Let pan get warm before placing 4 slices of the bread on it
- Top each slice of bread with 1/8th of the shredded cheese
- Top each with 1/4th of the apple mixture and 1/4 tablespoon of butter
- Add the remaining cheese to each, before placing down the top slices.
- Spread the remaining butter upon each top slice of bread
- Lightly sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top slices.