Divine! Cake-like texture, shaped and served like a pie.
Make and share this Apple Pie Cake with Rum Butter Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups peeled diced cooking apples (such as granny smith or jonathan)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon rum
- Cream butter, then gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed with an electric mixer.
- Add egg and beat until blended.
- Combine flour, salt cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Add to creamed mixture.
- Beat on low speed until smooth.
- Stir in water and vanilla.
- Fold in apples and pecans and spoon into a greased and floured 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake at 350*F for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For sauce; combine brown sugar, sugar, butter, butter and cream in a small saucepan and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in rum.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with cake and whipped cream.
This cake is delicious! It was very moist and had a wonderful apple flavor. For the rum sauce, I used 4 tablespoons margarine, (1/4 cup), and evaporated milk instead of the cream. Tasted really good. Thanks!
This really was very good - the rum butter sauce definitely takes this cake from good to outstanding! It was also easy and quick to make. I did not add the pecans. Thank you so much for sharing!
I had some apples from my grandmothers tree I needed to use. I found this recipe in my cookbook BEST of the BEST from the Mid-Atlantic Cookbook. It was really good, especially with the sauce. I came to post it to Zaar and was delighted to find it is already posted! You really should give this a try.