6 hrs 10 mins
Steel cut oats are one of my favorite breakfast foods. Once cooked, this recipe keeps very well in the refrigerator. Recipe found on Cooking with Jax.com.
My Private Note
1 cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Directions - Slow Cooker.
- 2For Best Results: Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low until it reaches the consistency that you like. Be sure to stir every hour or so.
- 3* You can also cook longer without stirring, but you have to add more water liquid and it does come out a bit mushier. Add an extra cup of liquid for 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.
- 4* It must be steel cut oats when cooked in the slow cooker, as regular oats get very soggy when cooked this way. You can find steel cut oats in your local grocery store (sometimes they are called "irish oats" or "pinhead oats"). If you would really rather use rolled oats, be sure to use the stovetop method below and adjust your liquid/cooking time accordingly.
- 5Directions - Stovetop Method.
- 6A few people have asked me about a stovetop method since not everybody has a slow cooker, and let's face it, sometimes we don't know what we want for breakfast until the morning of. Below is a stove top method and it tastes similar, but I still prefer the slow cooker version better (the oats become softer the longer they cook).
- 7Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until it reaches the consistency that you like.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie Breakfast - Slow Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.4
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g