Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from Living the Country Life magazine-Oct.’09 I love the smell of those warm autumn spices baking in the oven. Makes a nice homemade gift.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup sour milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 2 cups apples, shredded peeled (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- streusel-nut topping 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄3 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F, Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of an 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds, Beat in sugar until combined.
- Add buttermilk and baking powder; beat until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined.
- Add flour, salt,cinnamon and nutmeg; beat until combined them stir in apple, nuts, and raisins.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly and sprinkle Streusel-Nut Topping over batter.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
- Streusel-Nut Topping: In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
- *To make 1/4 cup sour milk, place 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.
Of course, smelled wonderful in the oven! The only thing I did differenty, was to chop one apple coarsely and add to the shredded. MMmmm. Only complaint, topping just a little bit too floury. Otherwise, great! Thnx for sharing your recipe, Antifreesz. Made for New Kids on the Block.