Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Apple pie that you can eat with your hands! This is an old family favorite--great to take on picnics or potlucks. Originally from a 1992 cookie booklet.
- 2 -3 granny smith apples (about 2 cups) or 2 -3 other tart apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice or 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- For Filling: In a medium saucepan combine apples, apple juice or water, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Stir together 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch, then stir into apple mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and set filling aside to cool slightly.
- For Crust: In a mixing bowl beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or till softened.
- Add about half of the flour and all of the 1/2 cup sugar, egg, and baking powder.
- Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat or stir in remaining flour.
- Pat two-thirds (about 1 cup) of the crust mixture into an ungreased 9x9-inch pan.
- Spread filling on top of crust.
- Drop the remaining crust mixture by small teaspoonfuls on top of filling.
- Bake in a 375° oven about 30 minutes or until top is golden.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Made a double batch in a 9 x 13 inch pan for my daughter and her family. They ate it all and gave it a thumbs up!
I just made these and they're yummy. I think the recipe works well on its own, but think I may try more filling and crust in the future. Very easy way to make a quick apple 'pie'.
I made these for a potluck at work and they went over nicely. I did make the short cut of using premade apple pie filling due to the lack of prep time. Edited to add: I do think that after seeing how they cut up and looked on the tray that doubling the ingredients for the crust so you could make a lattice across the top would make these even prettier. I also used the whole can (21 oz.) of apple pie filling and this seemed to work nicely. Thank you for posting this yummy sweet treat. Shirl