Leslie in Texas's Note:
Apple pie that you can eat with your hands! This is an old family favorite--great to take on picnics or potlucks. Originally from a 1992 cookie booklet.
My Private Note
bar coo ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 granny smith apples (about 2 cups) or 2 -3 other tart apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup apple juice or 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1For Filling: In a medium saucepan combine apples, apple juice or water, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- 2Cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring occasionally.
- 3Stir together 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch, then stir into apple mixture.
- 4Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- 5Remove from heat and set filling aside to cool slightly.
- 6For Crust: In a mixing bowl beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or till softened.
- 7Add about half of the flour and all of the 1/2 cup sugar, egg, and baking powder.
- 8Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- 9Beat or stir in remaining flour.
- 10Pat two-thirds (about 1 cup) of the crust mixture into an ungreased 9x9-inch pan.
- 11Spread filling on top of crust.
- 12Drop the remaining crust mixture by small teaspoonfuls on top of filling.
- 13Bake in a 375° oven about 30 minutes or until top is golden.
- 14Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie Bars
Serving Size: 1 (956 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.1
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 55.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 1.1 g