- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl whisk egg yolks, lemon juice and water, gradually add to flour mixture,tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide in half.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out on portion of dough between 2 large sheets of waxed paper into a 17x12 inch rectangle.
- Transfer to an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan.
- Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan,trim pastry even with top edge.
- In a bowl, toss the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg, spread over crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry to rift top of pan, place over filling.
- Trim edges, brush edges between pastry with water or milk, pinch to seal.
- Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle over bars before cutting.
- Makes about 2 dozen.