Top Review by chef janell
I love this recipe. I also do a cherry pie bar, I use 2 cans cherry pie filling with 1 tsp of almond flavor added to it, in place of the apple filling. I also change the frosting, I use 1 tsp of almond plus 1 tsp of lemon with the milk and sugar, to drizzle over the top. ( one thing I did not do is I did not chill the dough, I use it right away after I make it and I find it is easier to roll out with out the chilling part and it come out very nice)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 -10 tablespoons cold water
- 7 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl whisk egg yolks, lemon juice and water, gradually add to flour mixture,tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide in half.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out on portion of dough between 2 large sheets of waxed paper into a 17x12 inch rectangle.
- Transfer to an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan.
- Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan,trim pastry even with top edge.
- In a bowl, toss the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg, spread over crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry to rift top of pan, place over filling.
- Trim edges, brush edges between pastry with water or milk, pinch to seal.
- Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle over bars before cutting.
- Makes about 2 dozen.