1 hr 45 mins
The crust does double duty as the streusel topping and makes assembling the dish a snap. Prep time of 45 minutes includes the 30 minutes for cooling. Serving size is approximate depending on how large you cut the slices. If desired, serve with a dollop of whipped cream (Whipped Cream (Stabilized)) or ice cream. Adapted from Cuisine at Home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1/2 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored, diced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Coat a 10 inch springform pan with removable bottom with nonstick spray.
- 3Combine 2 cups flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt for the base and streusel mixtures in a bowl.
- 4Transfer 3/4 cup of the mixture to a second bowl; set aside for the streusel later.
- 5Cut 6 tablespoons cold butter and milk into the remaining dry ingredients using a pastry blender or your fingers.
- 6Mix until clumps form.
- 7Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan, using a measuring cup to "tamp" down the dough.
- 8Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until set and gold at the edges.
- 9Stir melted butter into the reserved streusel mixture until sandy; set aside.
- 10Toss all ingredients for the filling (apples, sugar, heavy cream, flour, vanilla, cinnamon and salt) together.
- 11Arrange over the hot base, pushing apple pieces to the edges of the pan to completely cover the crust.
- 12Sprinkle apples with the streusel topping, and bake until apples are soft and streusel is golden, 30-40 minutes.
- 13Cool bars for at least 30 minutes before removing the side of the pan and cutting into wedges.
- 14Store bars at room temperature or chill.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie Bars
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.7
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 30.2 mg
- Sodium 120.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 22.6 g
- Protein 2.6 g